Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

More
21 Apr 2019 20:06 #551 by seesaw50
Replied by seesaw50 on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

AlbertRoss wrote: Hmmm. Perhaps they've been a bit premature, as his record has been less than brilliant; he seems full of passion and good ideas but we haven't been able to grind out enough results when we should have done.

Not that I am as negative about this as some. I don't think we were in any way "nailed on" for promotion when Sheridan left, and I think Pressley has been on a bit of a hiding to nothing, particularly with the loss of the 3 players and hence the tactics that were working. He's had to try to build again at a time when we could have done with more continuity. The January recruitment perhaps unbalanced the squad even more, with the surfeit of midfielders and lack of fit genuine strikers.



Main issues have been small squad, unbalanced squad, and this is down to budgets and also lack of preparation and planning. Compare to the likes of Lincoln and M K Dons. At least settling the manager situation now does facilitate planning for next season.

Despite the issues this season, we have still managed to get some useful players in and it would be good to hold onto some of these, and also perchance to get hold of Nadesan and possibly Yates again.


Not 100% convinced on this appointment, but also not 100% against it, and can understand where they are coming from.


Maybe this is better than spending time looking for someone fresh and then having to start again (again).


There was no need to look for anybody Ian Evvet has nothing to do after next Saturday and still hasn't signed the contract on offer I.ll bet for a couple of grand he could have started on the 6th of May.

Pressley should simply have been told when he came No Promotion No Job then we might have seen how much he really wanted the job like he claims.


Hes signing it next week

To have been born Cumbrian
is to have won the lottery of life !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 20:16 #552 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

munchymagic wrote:

nobbyblue wrote: He'll be gone by November I would say.


Who would you blame though Nobby - the bloke signing the players or the bloke managing them?


I could be wrong but I've a feeling neither of them have a [censored] clue. I'm willing to give them a chance though as I haven't really got any option.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 20:47 #553 by Seekaye
Replied by Seekaye on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

munchymagic wrote:

Seekaye wrote: The Carlisle players didn’t want to play for Sheridan at Carlisle, never mind Chesterfield


Ridiculous comment pal as the results of both clubs went sky high under his tenure?!?

He has both clubs higher than expected in the league.

Then we employ a bloke who ruins it, nice one.


I’m not necessarily defending Pressley but very few of the players were sad to see Sheridan go. I recall someone saying when he left that 9 of the starting 11 at his last game were pleased he went. Sounded about right if you were at the Oldham game on boxing day
The following user(s) Liked this post:: ROOSTER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 20:57 #554 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Can’t say Pressley has won me over by any stretch but I’m more than willing to give him a chance when he’s had time to assemble his own squad in the summer, so I’m reasonably happy with the decision.

Interesting he’s been in charge for 15 games (third of a season) and he’s amassed 19pts (equivalent of around 57pts over a season) not great by any stretch but not relegation material either as some have claimed. Sheridan’s first 15 games as manager brought 20pts so there’s not much between their respective records. Sheridan turned it around so what’s to say Pressley won’t?

Continuity and stability are important at football clubs and I think that’s what the club are looking for. The important thing is he’s here for the foreseeable so why not get behind him and give him a chance, it may work out it may not but give him a chance.

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003
The following user(s) Liked this post:: pigeonpete, Arragorn, ROOSTER, AlbertRoss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 20:57 #555 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Seekaye wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

Seekaye wrote: The Carlisle players didn’t want to play for Sheridan at Carlisle, never mind Chesterfield


Ridiculous comment pal as the results of both clubs went sky high under his tenure?!?

He has both clubs higher than expected in the league.

Then we employ a bloke who ruins it, nice one.


I’m not necessarily defending Pressley but very few of the players were sad to see Sheridan go. I recall someone saying when he left that 9 of the starting 11 at his last game were pleased he went. Sounded about right if you were at the Oldham game on boxing day


Was that the one that we won?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 21:00 - 21 Apr 2019 21:07 #556 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

franksidebottom wrote: Can’t say Pressley has won me over by any stretch but I’m more than willing to give him a chance when he’s had time to assemble his own squad in the summer, so I’m reasonably happy with the decision.

Interesting he’s been in charge for 15 games (third of a season) and he’s amassed 19pts (equivalent of around 57pts over a season) not great by any stretch but not relegation material either as some have claimed. Sheridan’s first 15 games as manager brought 20pts so there’s not much between their respective records. Sheridan turned it around so what’s to say Pressley won’t?

Continuity and stability are important at football clubs and I think that’s what the club are looking for. The important thing is he’s here for the foreseeable so why not get behind him and give him a chance, it may work out it may not but give him a chance.


He has already had a chance though and [censored] it up so far.

I would have loved it but when he took over even I knew automatic promotion was a fantasy but we should already be entrenched in the play-offs and blooding young players and side line players currently as we rest our star players but this bloke has lost too many winnable games.

Who the [censored] employs a manger who gets royally humped from the bottom team in the league when we are going for promotion - oh yes Carlisle United.

I bet Pressley is chortling his arse off tonight getting away with this, Holdsworth will have been involved in this as it is human nature if you are crap at your job to employ someone crapper that you can blame the faults on.

Holdsworth isn't as thick as I once thought.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2019 21:07 by munchymagic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 21:29 #557 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Lakelandterrier wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

AlbertRoss wrote: Hmmm. Perhaps they've been a bit premature, as his record has been less than brilliant; he seems full of passion and good ideas but we haven't been able to grind out enough results when we should have done.

Not that I am as negative about this as some. I don't think we were in any way "nailed on" for promotion when Sheridan left, and I think Pressley has been on a bit of a hiding to nothing, particularly with the loss of the 3 players and hence the tactics that were working. He's had to try to build again at a time when we could have done with more continuity. The January recruitment perhaps unbalanced the squad even more, with the surfeit of midfielders and lack of fit genuine strikers.



Main issues have been small squad, unbalanced squad, and this is down to budgets and also lack of preparation and planning. Compare to the likes of Lincoln and M K Dons. At least settling the manager situation now does facilitate planning for next season.

Despite the issues this season, we have still managed to get some useful players in and it would be good to hold onto some of these, and also perchance to get hold of Nadesan and possibly Yates again.


Not 100% convinced on this appointment, but also not 100% against it, and can understand where they are coming from.


Maybe this is better than spending time looking for someone fresh and then having to start again (again).


There was no need to look for anybody Ian Evvet has nothing to do after next Saturday and still hasn't signed the contract on offer I.ll bet for a couple of grand he could have started on the 6th of May.

Pressley should simply have been told when he came No Promotion No Job then we might have seen how much he really wanted the job like he claims.


More bollocks, Barry! Evatt is shite! Failed at Chesterfield... cant do anything with Barrow.


Failed what at Chesterfield exactly ? And funny that the Barrow board have offered him the best contract any manager at that club has ever had.

Three different people I know in the game rate him as do any number of others and its not that long since someone else posted on here exactly the same information that I had.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 21:31 #558 by newcarlislefan
Replied by newcarlislefan on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Pleased with this and a sign that the club has learnt from last year and got to be better than appointing a manager in June.
Gives the club a 6 week head start on last year and it means we're not sniffing out players at the last minute.
Get the squad sorted out early and crack on with the pre-season work, fitness and coaching.
Excellent timing as well.
In arguably the biggest 3 games in 2 years coming up the players now know who the manager is.
This can only be a good thing with such crucial games ahead.
They know he'll be here next year and if they want to be here as well they now know who to impress.
Time and time again you see a side drifting with managerial uncertainty. Really smart timing, in my opinion, getting this out there before the Grimsby game.
The performances against Bury and Lincoln show me that the players are buying into him.
Give Pressley a chance and give him a squad.
Collin, Parkes, Liddle, Grainger, Gerrard, Etuhu, Jones, Devitt, Hope, Gillesphy, McCarron
Add Cullen, Thomas and Scougall to that and that would be an excellent base to build from. Add Yates and Nadesan and you're not a million miles off.
This could, theoretically, all be accomplished in the week or two following the end of the season.
The Devitt situation though, if accurate, is a huge concern.
That goal of the month he scored recently - running on to a ball that was moving away from him and hitting across it - is as good as it gets.
There must only be a handful of players in this division who can do that.
Can't be letting a player of that quality go.
If we're unsure of our division, it doesn't matter. Speak to him. Say we want you to stay.
Here's the Div 2 offer and here's the Div 1 offer. Tell him you'll build a side around him. Make him feel loved and wanted.
What does he give you every year - 10 + goals and the same in assists? How good was it to see him and Nadesan linking up?
Devitt must stay.
There's be no point in getting the managerial side of things sorted out so sensibly and promptly if we weren't able to give him the jewel in the crown.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: rasher13110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 22:10 #559 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

munchymagic wrote:

franksidebottom wrote: Can’t say Pressley has won me over by any stretch but I’m more than willing to give him a chance when he’s had time to assemble his own squad in the summer, so I’m reasonably happy with the decision.

Interesting he’s been in charge for 15 games (third of a season) and he’s amassed 19pts (equivalent of around 57pts over a season) not great by any stretch but not relegation material either as some have claimed. Sheridan’s first 15 games as manager brought 20pts so there’s not much between their respective records. Sheridan turned it around so what’s to say Pressley won’t?

Continuity and stability are important at football clubs and I think that’s what the club are looking for. The important thing is he’s here for the foreseeable so why not get behind him and give him a chance, it may work out it may not but give him a chance.


He has already had a chance though and [censored] it up so far.

I would have loved it but when he took over even I knew automatic promotion was a fantasy but we should already be entrenched in the play-offs and blooding young players and side line players currently as we rest our star players but this bloke has lost too many winnable games.

Who the [censored] employs a manger who gets royally humped from the bottom team in the league when we are going for promotion - oh yes Carlisle United.

I bet Pressley is chortling his arse off tonight getting away with this, Holdsworth will have been involved in this as it is human nature if you are crap at your job to employ someone crapper that you can blame the faults on.

Holdsworth isn't as thick as I once thought.


What so 15 games is the only chance you get now in football?

Whilst he’s hardly set the world alight he also hasn’t “[censored] it up” either, he’s got an almost identical mid-table record as Sheridan had. Now I’d like to see if he can build on that in a similar way Sheridan did, firstly in the last 3 games of this season and secondly with a full summer to build and work with his own squad.

It was all too predictable which serial moaners would be on their high horse about this decision. Predictable and boring.

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003
The following user(s) Liked this post:: melbourneblues, Arragorn, bluebry, ROOSTER, AlbertRoss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 22:23 #560 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
"Predictable and boring"

Summed yourself up perfectly Frank - take a bow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 00:41 #561 by musher441
Replied by musher441 on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Lakelandterrier wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

AlbertRoss wrote: Hmmm. Perhaps they've been a bit premature, as his record has been less than brilliant; he seems full of passion and good ideas but we haven't been able to grind out enough results when we should have done.

Not that I am as negative about this as some. I don't think we were in any way "nailed on" for promotion when Sheridan left, and I think Pressley has been on a bit of a hiding to nothing, particularly with the loss of the 3 players and hence the tactics that were working. He's had to try to build again at a time when we could have done with more continuity. The January recruitment perhaps unbalanced the squad even more, with the surfeit of midfielders and lack of fit genuine strikers.



Main issues have been small squad, unbalanced squad, and this is down to budgets and also lack of preparation and planning. Compare to the likes of Lincoln and M K Dons. At least settling the manager situation now does facilitate planning for next season.

Despite the issues this season, we have still managed to get some useful players in and it would be good to hold onto some of these, and also perchance to get hold of Nadesan and possibly Yates again.


Not 100% convinced on this appointment, but also not 100% against it, and can understand where they are coming from.


Maybe this is better than spending time looking for someone fresh and then having to start again (again).


There was no need to look for anybody Ian Evvet has nothing to do after next Saturday and still hasn't signed the contract on offer I.ll bet for a couple of grand he could have started on the 6th of May.

Pressley should simply have been told when he came No Promotion No Job then we might have seen how much he really wanted the job like he claims.


More bollocks, Barry! Evatt is shite! Failed at Chesterfield... cant do anything with Barrow.


You've also just described Pressley there Lee.
Pressley hasn't exactly been a roaring success at any of the club's he's managed.
Added to that he's come here and got a contract on the back of taking us from 4th place to optimistically clinging onto a play-off spot.
It won't just be the owners you're complaining about next season......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 02:21 #562 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
He better win at Grimsby or he will be under the cosh right away!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 04:54 #563 by Lakelandterrier
Replied by Lakelandterrier on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Lakelandterrier wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

AlbertRoss wrote: Hmmm. Perhaps they've been a bit premature, as his record has been less than brilliant; he seems full of passion and good ideas but we haven't been able to grind out enough results when we should have done.

Not that I am as negative about this as some. I don't think we were in any way "nailed on" for promotion when Sheridan left, and I think Pressley has been on a bit of a hiding to nothing, particularly with the loss of the 3 players and hence the tactics that were working. He's had to try to build again at a time when we could have done with more continuity. The January recruitment perhaps unbalanced the squad even more, with the surfeit of midfielders and lack of fit genuine strikers.



Main issues have been small squad, unbalanced squad, and this is down to budgets and also lack of preparation and planning. Compare to the likes of Lincoln and M K Dons. At least settling the manager situation now does facilitate planning for next season.

Despite the issues this season, we have still managed to get some useful players in and it would be good to hold onto some of these, and also perchance to get hold of Nadesan and possibly Yates again.


Not 100% convinced on this appointment, but also not 100% against it, and can understand where they are coming from.


Maybe this is better than spending time looking for someone fresh and then having to start again (again).


There was no need to look for anybody Ian Evvet has nothing to do after next Saturday and still hasn't signed the contract on offer I.ll bet for a couple of grand he could have started on the 6th of May.

Pressley should simply have been told when he came No Promotion No Job then we might have seen how much he really wanted the job like he claims.


More bollocks, Barry! Evatt is shite! Failed at Chesterfield... cant do anything with Barrow.


Failed what at Chesterfield exactly ? And funny that the Barrow board have offered him the best contract any manager at that club has ever had.

Three different people I know in the game rate him as do any number of others and its not that long since someone else posted on here exactly the same information that I had.


Barrow are non league. He us at his level. Otherwise he would have been gone.

Cumbrian and Proud
The following user(s) Liked this post:: ROOSTER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 05:05 #564 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

newcarlislefan wrote: Pleased with this and a sign that the club has learnt from last year and got to be better than appointing a manager in June.
Gives the club a 6 week head start on last year and it means we're not sniffing out players at the last minute.
Get the squad sorted out early and crack on with the pre-season work, fitness and coaching.
Excellent timing as well.
In arguably the biggest 3 games in 2 years coming up the players now know who the manager is.
This can only be a good thing with such crucial games ahead.
They know he'll be here next year and if they want to be here as well they now know who to impress.
Time and time again you see a side drifting with managerial uncertainty. Really smart timing, in my opinion, getting this out there before the Grimsby game.
The performances against Bury and Lincoln show me that the players are buying into him.
Give Pressley a chance and give him a squad.
Collin, Parkes, Liddle, Grainger, Gerrard, Etuhu, Jones, Devitt, Hope, Gillesphy, McCarron
Add Cullen, Thomas and Scougall to that and that would be an excellent base to build from. Add Yates and Nadesan and you're not a million miles off.
This could, theoretically, all be accomplished in the week or two following the end of the season.
The Devitt situation though, if accurate, is a huge concern.
That goal of the month he scored recently - running on to a ball that was moving away from him and hitting across it - is as good as it gets.
There must only be a handful of players in this division who can do that.
Can't be letting a player of that quality go.
If we're unsure of our division, it doesn't matter. Speak to him. Say we want you to stay.
Here's the Div 2 offer and here's the Div 1 offer. Tell him you'll build a side around him. Make him feel loved and wanted.
What does he give you every year - 10 + goals and the same in assists? How good was it to see him and Nadesan linking up?
Devitt must stay.
There's be no point in getting the managerial side of things sorted out so sensibly and promptly if we weren't able to give him the jewel in the crown.


Add Cullen? Promise me that's not going to happen
Not convinced of Scougall either. Looks good in flashes but doesn't change a game, Thomas is much better for me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 11:37 #565 by Urban Designer
Replied by Urban Designer on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Look what's happened to Man Utd since they made their manager permanent.

I also think the Devitt situation is his choice rather than CUFC's. If we don't go up he will be gone to a league 1 club. I have a feeling Lincoln will sign him. He should be our captain on an improved contract next season if we are looking to progress.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 11:44 #566 by AlbertRoss
Replied by AlbertRoss on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Urban Designer wrote: Look what's happened to Man Utd since they made their manager permanent.

I also think the Devitt situation is his choice rather than CUFC's. If we don't go up he will be gone to a league 1 club. I have a feeling Lincoln will sign him. He should be our captain on an improved contract next season if we are looking to progress.



Yes they need to get the Devitt situation sorted. This being Carlisle, there'll likely be good news - eg Nadesan comes in - but bad news - Devitt goes! Let's hope they can make Devitt a corner stone. I also wouldn't be surprised if Lincoln came sniffing about as I think their manager rates the likes of Jones and Devitt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 11:54 - 22 Apr 2019 11:54 #567 by orfc
Replied by orfc on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
As others have said, might as well have just gave him the 18 months in January

Still, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as having travelled to work within the EU in cyprus he's obviously a remainer at heart (BAIT ALERT)
Last edit: 22 Apr 2019 11:54 by orfc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 14:10 #568 by CCU
Replied by CCU on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Urban Designer wrote: Look what's happened to Man Utd since they made their manager permanent.

I also think the Devitt situation is his choice rather than CUFC's. If we don't go up he will be gone to a league 1 club. I have a feeling Lincoln will sign him. He should be our captain on an improved contract next season if we are looking to progress.


What has the form of Man Utd got to do with us ffs?!

Regarding Devitt, it was Holdsworth who said no more deals until we know where we’ll be...

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 16:11 #569 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Isn’t it strange how the people who didn’t want Curle sacked after he ballsed up being top of the league now want Pressley sacked or at least not extended for far less of a collapse. Funny old game isn’t it saint.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 16:13 #570 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Dancingbear wrote: Isn’t it strange how the people who didn’t want Curle sacked after he ballsed up being top of the league now want Pressley sacked or at least not extended for far less of a collapse. Funny old game isn’t it saint.


Difference is pal is that Curle at least managed the play-offs, we could turn this around but they are not playing well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 16:26 #571 by crunchblue
Replied by crunchblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Dancingbear wrote: Isn’t it strange how the people who didn’t want Curle sacked after he ballsed up being top of the league now want Pressley sacked or at least not extended for far less of a collapse. Funny old game isn’t it saint.


I think probably because Curle was the one who got us into the position of top in the first place, then f$$ked it up. With pressley it’s someone else who got us up to the top 3, then hes come in and undone it all.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:01 - 22 Apr 2019 17:24 #572 by musher441
Replied by musher441 on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
...with Pressley getting a new contract.
Its completely bizarre.
The man is an utter buffoon.

His history of ineptitude at previous clubs is no coincidence.

Be prepared for many more performances next season similar to today.
He'll be gone by October, probably with us in the bottom 2.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2019 17:24 by musher441.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Wukkie, Croydonblue, munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:09 #573 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Well said.

I get the point that we should appoint a manager early from some fans but we have already seen what Presley can do and it is not good enough.

Too many managers on the Merry Go Round blah blah blah - I don't care as we picked decent ones with Curle and Sheridan and a complete duffer with Pressley, we had perfect opportunity to kick him back onto the Merry Go Round and grab ourselves another one as Pressley is crap - we couldn't do much worse really.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Croydonblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:26 #574 by Wukkie
Replied by Wukkie on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
It just proves that some folk are happy with any old shite and are happy being stale in L2.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Mullen103

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:39 #575 by borderterrier
Replied by borderterrier on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
A new contact for Pressley should have had judgement reserved until the end of the season. The decision has been made by the board in typical fashion. I cannot believe how naive this desion is. In fact it’s stupidity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:47 #576 by shaldon1
Replied by shaldon1 on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Looks game set and match for next season also.Really no hope at all for the future.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:49 #577 by 182blue
Replied by 182blue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Wasn't there today but sounded like a real absence of quality in the team.
You can't polish a turd and that is what some of these players seem to be.
Clear out all those who have produced nowt and then he gets his chance to start over again in the summer.
At least he has had a chance to assess the squad and work out what he needs.
There is a fair bet it will go badly and he will be gone by Christmas, but that is on the basis that 95% of managerial appointments end in failure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:51 #578 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

182blue wrote: Wasn't there today but sounded like a real absence of quality in the team.
You can't polish a turd and that is what some of these players seem to be.
Clear out all those who have produced nowt and then he gets his chance to start over again in the summer.
At least he has had a chance to assess the squad and work out what he needs.
There is a fair bet it will go badly and he will be gone by Christmas, but that is on the basis that 95% of managerial appointments end in failure.


Our last two managerial choices before Pressley unusually did not end in failure, strange really as that is not how Carlisle United roll.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:52 #579 by BlueBanana
Replied by BlueBanana on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
I think Pressley is very much the same sort of manager as Curle. Likes to to tinker with team & formation, Doesn't know his best team. Plus a few other traits i don't like. Only difference i see is Pressley has been unlucky with injuries & suspensions, plus lost three key player's. Would have much rather we'd been able to keep hold of Sheridan, not the most personable fella but got results.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:53 #580 by CCU
Replied by CCU on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

shaldon1 wrote: Looks game set and match for next season also.Really no hope at all for the future.


Jesus wept, that’s bed-wetting at another level!

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Chilledsilly, Arragorn, bluebry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:55 #581 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
No future, no future, no future for SHADONnnnnnaaaa….

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:55 #582 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

munchymagic wrote:

Dancingbear wrote: Isn’t it strange how the people who didn’t want Curle sacked after he ballsed up being top of the league now want Pressley sacked or at least not extended for far less of a collapse. Funny old game isn’t it saint.


Difference is pal is that Curle at least managed the play-offs, we could turn this around but they are not playing well.


Either way it would appear our club managed to sicken the best of the lot Sheridan. I havent taken a lot of interest in Chesterfield but it said on radio cumbria theyre up to 12th so they must be very happy with him.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Waltero
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
22 Apr 2019 17:56 #583 by Waltero
Replied by Waltero on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
His tactics are non existent he's clueless. Least it's only a 12month contact so when the buffoons dragging the club down realises they've f..... Up it won't cost them thaticj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 19:09 #584 by DeckchairBlue
Replied by DeckchairBlue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

munchymagic wrote:

182blue wrote: Wasn't there today but sounded like a real absence of quality in the team.
You can't polish a turd and that is what some of these players seem to be.
Clear out all those who have produced nowt and then he gets his chance to start over again in the summer.
At least he has had a chance to assess the squad and work out what he needs.
There is a fair bet it will go badly and he will be gone by Christmas, but that is on the basis that 95% of managerial appointments end in failure.


Our last two managerial choices before Pressley unusually did not end in failure, strange really as that is not how Carlisle United roll.


Curle's remit after keeping us up was to get us promoted, he failed to do that in 3 consecutive seasons, even after issuing a guarantee that we would go up if we finished in the playoffs, which we didn't.

I know you have a man crush on the guy but by the remit he was given his time can't be seen as a success.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Markovitch, melbourneblues, Arragorn, Zebby, Dancingbear and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 19:23 #585 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

DeckchairBlue wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

182blue wrote: Wasn't there today but sounded like a real absence of quality in the team.
You can't polish a turd and that is what some of these players seem to be.
Clear out all those who have produced nowt and then he gets his chance to start over again in the summer.
At least he has had a chance to assess the squad and work out what he needs.
There is a fair bet it will go badly and he will be gone by Christmas, but that is on the basis that 95% of managerial appointments end in failure.


Our last two managerial choices before Pressley unusually did not end in failure, strange really as that is not how Carlisle United roll.


Curle's remit after keeping us up was to get us promoted, he failed to do that in 3 consecutive seasons, even after issuing a guarantee that we would go up if we finished in the playoffs, which we didn't.

I know you have a man crush on the guy but by the remit he was given his time can't be seen as a success.


That is just it - I respected him because he gave us belief that we could get promoted, we didn't but were always there or thereabouts.

Sheridan was a bit of a nutter, however he could get results.

Pressley cannot even look a gift horse in the mouth.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: NORTHERNSOUL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 08:10 #586 by BlueAl
Replied by BlueAl on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
So the club says, we are delighted to announce the manager has been given a one year contract extension. Genuine question. On the basis of what? Results have deteriorated since he came in, the players don't appear to be playing out of their skin for him, so why the extension? Or has he fulfilled the boards agenda by staying in the basement league. Would like someone in charge to justify the decision please.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Wukkie, Croydonblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 08:30 #587 by carwash
Replied by carwash on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Good question. Next season the Club are likely to cut the playing budget by another 30% or so. I think Pressley has shown willingness to work with a very tight budget and accept a low salary. If Pressley were to be released from Carlisle his career as a League manager would probably be over. Holdsworth therefore has his man for the plan as he knew from day one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 08:34 #588 by 1954Blue
Replied by 1954Blue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
In fairness I think the last two home games WOULD suggest that the players are playing for the manager.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: franksidebottom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 08:54 #589 by sirjimmyglass
Replied by sirjimmyglass on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Not sure you'd get too many fans on board saying "We've gone for the cheap option, get on board!"

*I am not suggesting he's the cheap option

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 11:24 #590 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Sheridan got results - were you saying the same in the autumn when we went 5 home games without scoring, losing the lot? These included losing at home to bottom of the table Grimsby, and other relegation candidates like Yeovil and Morecambe!

16 games in and Pressley and Sheridan have almost identical records, there’s 1 point in it, yet you’re hammering Pressley whilst talking Sheridan up like he was some sort of managerial great.

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Lakelandterrier, DeckchairBlue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 11:46 #591 by Arragorn
Replied by Arragorn on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
If as suggested we have to cut the budget for next year then either one of Clibbens or Holdsworth needs to go.
Why does a tinpot L2 club need a CEO & a Director of Football?
The following user(s) Liked this post:: triskelionblue, Croydonblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 12:17 #592 by beefsister
Replied by beefsister on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Jobs for the boys at the expense of the playing budget.

The Club can quite easily be run without Clibbens and Holdsworth - too many chiefs not enough Indians at the moment.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Wukkie, triskelionblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 12:34 #593 by triskelionblue
Replied by triskelionblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
He's actually what the temporary custodians are looking for I bet their blood pressure rose when Sheridan took us into an automatic promotion spot... much relief I bet to them that we are heading to 14th at the end of the season. Hopefully Pressley will fulfill the role they want and we'll finish around 14th in the 2019-20 season as well...
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Wukkie, Croydonblue, NORTHERNSOUL, munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 17:12 #594 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

franksidebottom wrote: Sheridan got results - were you saying the same in the autumn when we went 5 home games without scoring, losing the lot? These included losing at home to bottom of the table Grimsby, and other relegation candidates like Yeovil and Morecambe!

16 games in and Pressley and Sheridan have almost identical records, there’s 1 point in it, yet you’re hammering Pressley whilst talking Sheridan up like he was some sort of managerial great.


Because Sheridan learnt from his mistakes Frank. We were crap so he changed things. When he left we were 4th. Now we're not, so it's worse. And there is no sign of a turn around.

Do you watch the games? Did you see the grimsby game?
The following user(s) Liked this post:: munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 17:19 #595 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Markovitch wrote:

franksidebottom wrote: Sheridan got results - were you saying the same in the autumn when we went 5 home games without scoring, losing the lot? These included losing at home to bottom of the table Grimsby, and other relegation candidates like Yeovil and Morecambe!

16 games in and Pressley and Sheridan have almost identical records, there’s 1 point in it, yet you’re hammering Pressley whilst talking Sheridan up like he was some sort of managerial great.


Because Sheridan learnt from his mistakes Frank. We were crap so he changed things. When he left we were 4th. Now we're not, so it's worse. And there is no sign of a turn around.

Do you watch the games? Did you see the grimsby game?


You have to put things into perspective really - I didn't really like Sheridan but he was a decent manager at Carlisle United.

Call it fickle but I rate a manager on his results.

I am scared of him doing a Kavanagh on us with his re-building.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 17:31 #596 by melbourneblues
Replied by melbourneblues on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Markovitch wrote:

franksidebottom wrote: Sheridan got results - were you saying the same in the autumn when we went 5 home games without scoring, losing the lot? These included losing at home to bottom of the table Grimsby, and other relegation candidates like Yeovil and Morecambe!

16 games in and Pressley and Sheridan have almost identical records, there’s 1 point in it, yet you’re hammering Pressley whilst talking Sheridan up like he was some sort of managerial great.



Because Sheridan learnt from his mistakes Frank. We were crap so he changed things. When he left we were 4th. Now we're not, so it's worse. And there is no sign of a turn around.


Do you watch the games? Did you see the grimsby game?


No he was watching his first team Sunderland at Peterborough.

Mullen is a virgin.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Markovitch, CCU, franksidebottom, Croydonblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 17:32 #597 by paddockite
Replied by paddockite on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Markovitch wrote:

franksidebottom wrote: Sheridan got results - were you saying the same in the autumn when we went 5 home games without scoring, losing the lot? These included losing at home to bottom of the table Grimsby, and other relegation candidates like Yeovil and Morecambe!

16 games in and Pressley and Sheridan have almost identical records, there’s 1 point in it, yet you’re hammering Pressley whilst talking Sheridan up like he was some sort of managerial great.


Because Sheridan learnt from his mistakes Frank. We were crap so he changed things. When he left we were 4th. Now we're not, so it's worse. And there is no sign of a turn around.

Do you watch the games? Did you see the grimsby game?


This is incorrect.

Sheridan left when we were 7th, the Morecambe 2-0 win away took us 7th, then he left. The majority of Sheridans reign saw us bounce between 10th - 15th, the 5 wins on the bounce catapulted us into the play offs.

We were 4th after the 1-0 win at Port Vale, 2 games into Pressleys reign, which was our 8th win in 9.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: CCU, franksidebottom, AlbertRoss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 17:34 - 23 Apr 2019 17:39 #598 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

paddockite wrote:

Markovitch wrote:

franksidebottom wrote: Sheridan got results - were you saying the same in the autumn when we went 5 home games without scoring, losing the lot? These included losing at home to bottom of the table Grimsby, and other relegation candidates like Yeovil and Morecambe!

16 games in and Pressley and Sheridan have almost identical records, there’s 1 point in it, yet you’re hammering Pressley whilst talking Sheridan up like he was some sort of managerial great.


Because Sheridan learnt from his mistakes Frank. We were crap so he changed things. When he left we were 4th. Now we're not, so it's worse. And there is no sign of a turn around.

Do you watch the games? Did you see the grimsby game?


This is incorrect.

Sheridan left when we were 7th, the Morecambe 2-0 win away took us 7th, then he left. The majority of Sheridans reign saw us bounce between 10th - 15th, the 5 wins on the bounce catapulted us into the play offs.

We were 4th after the 1-0 win at Port Vale, 2 games into Pressleys reign, which was our 8th win in 9.


So what you are saying is that Pressley hates successful momentum?

The only way he knows in management is like throwing a marble into water rather than a ball-pit ball that will float to the top, he will never learn and has screwed our season up.

Holdsworth had a hand in it as well as if he is the bloke behind the signings he signed a crock and the manager couldn't get a tune out of the others.

[censored] nice one.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2019 17:39 by munchymagic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 17:41 #599 by paddockite
Replied by paddockite on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

munchymagic wrote:

paddockite wrote:

Markovitch wrote:

franksidebottom wrote: Sheridan got results - were you saying the same in the autumn when we went 5 home games without scoring, losing the lot? These included losing at home to bottom of the table Grimsby, and other relegation candidates like Yeovil and Morecambe!

16 games in and Pressley and Sheridan have almost identical records, there’s 1 point in it, yet you’re hammering Pressley whilst talking Sheridan up like he was some sort of managerial great.


Because Sheridan learnt from his mistakes Frank. We were crap so he changed things. When he left we were 4th. Now we're not, so it's worse. And there is no sign of a turn around.

Do you watch the games? Did you see the grimsby game?


This is incorrect.

Sheridan left when we were 7th, the Morecambe 2-0 win away took us 7th, then he left. The majority of Sheridans reign saw us bounce between 10th - 15th, the 5 wins on the bounce catapulted us into the play offs.

We were 4th after the 1-0 win at Port Vale, 2 games into Pressleys reign, which was our 8th win in 9.


So what you are saying is that Pressley hates successful momentum?

The only way he knows in management is like throwing a marble into water rather than a ball-pit ball that will float to the top, he will never learn and has screwed our season up.

Holdsworth had a hand in it as well as if he is the bloke behind the signings he signed a crock and the manager couldn't get a tune out of the others.

[censored] nice one.


I was just merely pointing out some facts.

You can continue ranting now.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: franksidebottom, AlbertRoss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2019 17:45 #600 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

paddockite wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

paddockite wrote:

Markovitch wrote:

franksidebottom wrote: Sheridan got results - were you saying the same in the autumn when we went 5 home games without scoring, losing the lot? These included losing at home to bottom of the table Grimsby, and other relegation candidates like Yeovil and Morecambe!

16 games in and Pressley and Sheridan have almost identical records, there’s 1 point in it, yet you’re hammering Pressley whilst talking Sheridan up like he was some sort of managerial great.


Because Sheridan learnt from his mistakes Frank. We were crap so he changed things. When he left we were 4th. Now we're not, so it's worse. And there is no sign of a turn around.

Do you watch the games? Did you see the grimsby game?


This is incorrect.

Sheridan left when we were 7th, the Morecambe 2-0 win away took us 7th, then he left. The majority of Sheridans reign saw us bounce between 10th - 15th, the 5 wins on the bounce catapulted us into the play offs.

We were 4th after the 1-0 win at Port Vale, 2 games into Pressleys reign, which was our 8th win in 9.


So what you are saying is that Pressley hates successful momentum?

The only way he knows in management is like throwing a marble into water rather than a ball-pit ball that will float to the top, he will never learn and has screwed our season up.

Holdsworth had a hand in it as well as if he is the bloke behind the signings he signed a crock and the manager couldn't get a tune out of the others.

[censored] nice one.


I was just merely pointing out some facts.

You can continue ranting now.


Not having a go at you pal at all.

Just frustrated with that yesterday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds
Website and all content © Copyright 2019 TheCumbrians.net. All Rights Reserved.